A world leader in the knitting machine industry, Mayer & Cie had a modest beginning in Tailfingen, Germany in 1905.
In 1934, Mr. Emil Mayer started a new growth era for the Company, and in 1937 the firm was reorganized into its present form of Mayer & Cie and rededicated to the manufacture of the world’s finest circular knitting machines.
Because of the growing demand for the Mayer machines in the Americas, a decision was made to build a new factory in Orangeburg, SC, to be known as Mayer & Cie (USA). Construction began on the plant in May 1970 under the leadership of Mr. Peter Mayer, the son of the late Mr. Emil Mayer and the facility was completed in November of the same year.
Soon after the start of production in Orangeburg two new product lines including high-pile textile machines as well as high-speed hose braiding machines were introduced into manufacturing during the late 70′s.
Mayer Industries is a two-time recipient of The President’s “E” Certificate for Exports Award from the US Secretary of Commerce for outstanding contribution to the Export Expansion Program of the United States of America. In September 2008 Mayer Industries also received the South Carolina Ambassador of Economic Development Award for continued state and local economic contributions.
Today the Orangeburg plant is the worldwide leader in the production of high speed braiding machines as well as a provider of engineering and machining services for a diverse market.